Renewable Energy in Electric Utilities & Power Generators IndustryTransitioned to the ISSB
Transitioned to the ISSB
Effective on August 1, 2022, the Value Reporting Foundation consolidated into the IFRS Foundation. At that time, stewardship of the SASB Standards—including all active projects—passed from the SASB Standards Board to the International Sustainability Standards Board (ISSB). The ISSB has committed to building on the SASB Standards and progressing ongoing SASB projects. Any future updates to the SASB Standards resulting from this project will be subject to ISSB due process prior to being finalized.
The information below is intended to provide interested parties with historical information regarding the status of this project at the time of the consolidation.
This project will investigate the ways to measure company performance on electric utilities’ transition to renewable energy as a decarbonization pathway to provide complete and comparable information to users.
Based on market feedback received on disclosure limitations in some markets with the current set of metrics related to renewable energy in this industry, there are opportunities to investigate other ways to measure company performance beyond renewable portfolio standards in metric IF-EU-110a.4. Broadly within the industry, the expected increase in demand for electricity coupled with emissions reduction goals, further support the opportunity to investigate how to measure company performance in a way that provides decision-useful information to users.
Transitioned to the ISSB
The research & consultations performed during this project will inform the ISSB’s Consultation on Agenda Priorities, currently scheduled to be released in the second half of 2022.
Published Documents & Supplemental Materials
There are no published documents or drafts at this time.
Board Materials & Decisions
Board Meeting Outcomes
- Staff updated the Board on its findings from stakeholder consultations and shared its initial recommendations on opportunities to further enhance the Electric Utilities & Power Generators Standard.
- The Board discussed the consultation findings and staff’s initial recommendations, providing guidance on specific areas to consider for further refinement of its recommendations and related opportunities to consult market participants.
- Staff continues to engage the market as the project transitions to the International Sustainability Standards Board (ISSB), while the consultation on the ISSB’s agenda priorities planned for later this year will inform a detailed delivery plan.
- Staff presented key findings from market feedback and research on the disclosure limitations with the current set of metrics related to renewable energy in the Greenhouse Gas Emissions & Energy Resource Planning disclosure topic in the Electric Utilities & Power Generators Standard.
- Staff recommended the Board initiate a standard-setting project to improve how the Standard addresses company performance and strategy in the context of the industry’s transition to renewable energy as a decarbonization pathway.
- The Board approved the standard-setting project, as recommended by staff. The project scope includes the consideration of new or revised metrics to address the energy transition in the Electric Utilities & Power Generators industry and to enhance international applicability.
For a full list of past and upcoming Standards Board meetings, as well as associated materials, please visit our Board Meetings Calendar & Archive.
The staff has prepared this summary for informational purposes only. Any Standards Board decisions are tentative and do not change current accounting. Official positions of SASB are determined only after extensive due process and deliberations.